Filing Suit Against the City of Philadelphia

The City of Philadelphia has a duty to keep its streets, sidewalks and parks safe for Pennsylvania citizens. If a dangerous condition — such as icy roads, defective stop lights or unmarked open manholes — causes one to suffer an injury, the City is responsible. If you were injured due to a negligent condition on a Philadelphia street(s), a city-owned building(s), or in a motor vehicle accident involving a government employee (such as a police officer), you can hold the city liable for your injuries.

The Pennsylvania Tort Claims Act (PTCA) enables citizens to sue the City of Philadelphia for injuries it caused; however, many special rules and regulations apply. Most important is the condensed timeline allowed for bringing a claim. If you were injured due to the negligence of the city or a government agency, you only have six (6) months to file a notice of your claim. If you fail to notify the City or Commonwealth of your claim, you can be forever barred from filing a lawsuit.

Due to the complex nature of physical injuries, what seemed like a minor injury at the time the accident occurred may evolve into a serious, and even permanent, injury. If the evolution of your injury took longer than six (6) months, you may no longer be able to recover compensation. That is why it is imperative to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer who understands the evolution of physical injuries, and who has experience holding the government liable for those injuries.

As a personal injury law firm, Edelstein Law knows and understands the special rules and timelines which apply when holding the city liable for an injury. When clients come to us, we act fast to identify eyewitnesses, evaluate the circumstances surrounding the accident to unearth unsafe conditions and practices, and develop sound legal strategies that help clients get the compensation they deserve. Call us today at (215) 893-9311!